How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 1.0 (2016) vs global average: 8.2 (2016), Europe average: 1.5 (2016).
- Unexploded mines in former conflict areas (Eastern Slavonia, Brodsko-Posavska County, Karlovac County, areas around Zadar, more remote areas of the Plitvice Lakes National Park).
- No recent history but future attacks cannot be ruled out.
- Civil unrest:
- Rare. However, the influx of migrants and refugees may shake things up.
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.
- A source about mine affected areas is the Croatian Mine Action Center’s website.