How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 0.6 (2016) vs global average: 8.2 (2016), Asia average: 2.3 (2016).
- Risk of attacks in the Xinjiang Uyghur autonomous region by Uyghur separatists with possible links to the East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM).
- Civil unrest:
- Ongoing political and ethnic tensions in Tibet and the Tibet Autonomous Region, and Xinjiang Uyghur autonomous region.
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.