How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 18.8 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #73 highest globally (relatively unsafe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Traffic can be chaotic with high volumes of traffic, reckless driving and pedestrians not having the right of way.
- Rules are not consistently enforced.
- Depending on where you are, road conditions can be poor.
- Other transport:
- Public transport is safe and extensive. However, watch out for thefts.
- The Trans-Mongolian express train is noted for smuggling so do lock your cabin.
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.