How it works:
- Major earthquakes and tsunamis can occur
- Rainy season: May to November
- Can cause flooding in central, western and southern China, particularly areas near Yangtze River.
- Potential landslides can make Karakoram and Khunjerab Pass routes dangerous.
- Typhoons can occur along southern and eastern coasts can disrupt daily life.
What to do:
- Travel at the “right” time to the “right” place
- Media reports, weather forecasts
- Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System
- World Meteorological Organisation Severe Weather Information Centre (latest typhoon information)
- China Meteorological Administration
- Reacting to one:
- Earthquakes: drop (to hands and knees), cover (head and neck with arms), hold on (to sturdy furniture; expect aftershocks.