How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 12.4 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #112 highest globally (relatively safe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Poorly maintained, poorly lit secondary and mountain roads without guardrails.
- Not adhering to traffic rules. E.g speeding, changing lane without signalling, not observing road signs.
- Inclement weather may make certain roads impassable.
- A four wheel drive is needed when traversing the countryside.
- Congestion in downtown Santiago during peak hours.
- During morning and evening peak hours, major arteries alternate traffic direction.
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- World Health Organization (WHO) – Global Status Report on Road Safety (2015)
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice