How it works:
- San Juan and Mendoza are located in active seismic zones.
- Several in the Andes region such as the Copahue volcano on Argentina – Chile border may erupt.
- The north such as Buenos Aires can be susceptible to flash floods.
What to do:
- Travel at the “right” time to the “right” place
- Media reports, weather forecasts
- VAAC Buenos Aires
- Reacting to one:
- Earthquakes: drop (to hands and knees), cover (head and neck with arms), hold on (to sturdy furniture); expect aftershocks.
- Volcanic eruption: avoid areas downwind and river valleys downstream of the volcano, do not drive in heavy ash fall, seek shelter (if no need to evacuate) or high ground if no shelter (crouch down away from volcano, cover head with arms).