How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 7.7 (2016) vs global average: 8.2 (2016), Americas average: 20.9 (2016).
- Please see below
- No recent history, but should not be taken for granted.
- Civil unrest:
- Demonstrations can occur in Montevideo.
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.
- Avoid areas in Montevideo high crime levels:
- 40 Semanas, Bella Italia, Borro, Casavalle, Casabó, Cerro, Cerro Norte, Hipódromo, La Teja, Marconi, Malvín Norte, Tres Ombúes, Villa Española
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice