How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 0.6 (2016) vs global average: 8.2 (2016), Europe average: 1.5 (2016).
- Potentially, refugee camps (e.g. in San Roque).
- Drug entry points such as Galicia, La Línea de la Concepción, Costa del Sol.
- Possibility of attacks, with the last being a vehicle driven into pedestrians on Las Ramblas in Barcelona in 2017.
- Civil unrest:
- Demonstrations may occur, especially in Catalonia.
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice