How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 18.5 (2016) vs global average: 8.2 (2016), Americas average: 20.9 (2016).
- Caseríos and slums (e.g. La Perla in San Juan) as these are usually where drug dealers operate at.
- No recent history, but should not be taken for granted.
- Civil unrest:
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.
- Travelscams.org’s Travel Safety Monitor (TraSM) can track crime trends, terrorism news and risk levels, upcoming significant dates, civil unrest and more for you. Click to learn more.