How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 11.0 (2016) vs global average: 8.2 (2016), Asia average: 2.3 (2016).
- Several groups (New People’s Army, Abu Sayyaf Group, Jemaah Islamiyah, Moro National Liberation Front, Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF)) operate in the rural areas.
- Civil unrest:
- Demonstrations and large public gatherings can occur.
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.
- Areas to avoid (due to terrorist attacks and kidnappings) include:
- Mindanao region
- Sulu Archipelago and the southern Sulu Sea
- Davao City
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice