How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 7.0 (2015) vs global average: 7.2 (2015), Asia average: 2.6 (2015).
- Unexploded ordnance due to the 2nd Indochina War.
- Particularly in Xieng Khouang Province (Plain of Jars), Luang Prabang Province and areas of the Lao-Vietnam border, formerly the Ho Chi Minh Trail.
- No recent history, but should not be taken for granted.
- Civil unrest:
- Demonstrations or protests can occur.
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.
- Don’t stray from main paths (especially in rural areas) and don’t pick up metal objects.
- Do not/avoid travelling:
- Xaisomboun Province
- Sanamxay District in Attapeu province (flooding)
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice