How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 1.5 (2016)vs global average: 8.2 (2016); Africa average: 13.0 (2016).
- Landmines may be located near military installations and borders, including the dead sea area.
- Border areas with Syria and Iraq due to military activity, weapon and drug smuggling and freedom fighters attempting to get into Syria.
- Also avoid refugee camps.
- Threat remains from violent extremist groups (ISIL, Jabhat al-Nusra).
- Civil unrest:
- Demonstrations can be common, generally occur on Friday after mid-day prayers and near large mosques, major intersections, ministries, downtown areas and the Desert Highway.
- Tribal clashes may also happen.
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.
- Borders with Syria and Iraq (within 5 km).
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice