How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 2.5 (2014) vs global average: 7.3 (2014), Asia average: 2.7 (2014).
- Criminal groups in Southeastern region (drug traffickers from Afghanistan and Pakistan), ethnic conflicts in Sistan-Baluchistan and in borders with Iraq.
- Threat exists.
- Civil unrest:
- Large scale demonstrations sometimes occur.
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.
- Also stay alert during periods of religious significance such as during Ramadan.
- Avoid these areas:
- 100km of Afghanistan border
- 10km of Iraq border
- Province of Sistan-Baluchistan
- East of Bam and Jask, including Bam
- Travelscams.org’s Travel Safety Monitor (TraSM) can track crime trends, terrorism news and risk levels, upcoming significant dates, civil unrest and more for you. Click to learn more.
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice