How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 0.8 (2016) vs global average: 8.2 (2016), Europe average: 1.5 (2016).
- Potentially, temporary migrant camps in northeastern Aegean.
- Marijuana is grown on remote farms in Crete, the Peloponnese peninsula, Amaliad and Pyrgos.
- There have been bomb attacks by anarchists and ultra-leftist militant groups.
- Civil unrest:
- Strikes, demonstrations and protests common.
- Usually in major squares in central Athens, such as Syntagma Square, or in front of the Parliament Building.
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice