How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 1.8 (2011) vs global average: 8.0 (2011), Asia average: 3.1 (2011).
- Unexploded landmines in remote rural areas (Battambang, Banteay Meanchey, Pursat, Siem Reap, Kampong).
- Banditry in rural areas and in routes between Snoul, Kratié and Stung Treng.
- Clashes with Thailand in the Preah Vihear area.
- Situation has improved as it was ruled that Cambodia has sovereignty over the area, though tensions remain.
- No recent major history, though bomb plots have been foiled.
- Civil unrest:
- Political protests, demonstrations, marches are possible and can turn violent.
What to do:
- In general:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night and flaunting valuables.
- Monitor local media in case of terrorist threats and civil unrest.
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice