How it works:
- Violent crime (UNODC’s stats):
- Victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 1.1 (2016) vs global average: 8.2 (2016), Europe average: 1.5 (2016).
- Stray dogs are common and can be dangerous.
- n.a. (violent crime is rare, though organized criminal groups are active in casinos and nightclubs)
- No major recent history, but should not be taken for granted.
- Civil unrest:
- Demonstrations may occur.
What to do:
- Stay alert, avoid secluded areas, travelling alone at night, hiking alone, and don’t look like an easy victim (e.g. looking like a tourist/flaunting valuables).
- Monitor local media in case of any terrorist threats, and avoid the danger zones and demonstrations.
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice