How it works:
- Watch out for:
- Roads can be bad with uneven paving and potholes
- Motorists not adhering to speed limits or traffic rules
- Poorly maintained vehicles without functioning lights
- Mountain roads are narrow and twisty with minimal signage
- Other transport:
- Publico: shared taxis (yellow license plates with the word “PUBLICO” on top)
- Tren Urbano: reliable train service serving the metropolitan areas of San Juan
- Autoridad Metropolitana de Autobuses/AMA: public bus
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- Public transport is very affordable, though buses can come at infrequent and unpredictable timings.
- Travelscams.org’s Travel Safety Monitor (TraSM) can track road safety (e.g. roadblocks, road works, traffic disruptions, disruptions to public transport) and more for you. Click to learn more.