How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 20.3 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #66 highest globally (relatively unsafe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Poorly maintained vehicles and roads
- At night, headlights are not switched on and roads do not lighting
- Very aggressive driving amidst congested traffic
- Pedestrians and animals walking on the road
- Narrow and winding mountainous routes
- Impassable roads during rainy season
- Increased drunk driving and road closures in April (Water Festival; New Year)
- Public transport:
- Air, rail, sea: do not meet international safety standards, out-dated equipment
What to do:
- Before heading out, check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- When on the road, stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- Use taxis with red license plates instead of public transportation.
- World Health Organization (WHO) – Global Status Report on Road Safety (2015)
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice