How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate:
- 18.0 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #78 highest globally (relatively unsafe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Large traffic numbers when overseas Moroccans return from July to September
- Potential flash flooding during rainy season of November to March
- Poor driving practices
- Poor lighting systems
- Roads in rural areas are unpaved
- Roads in the mountains are steep, narrow and windy
- Buses are usually overcrowded
- Other transport:
- Trains: safe and reliable
- Buses: usually overcrowded and may be subject to reckless driving
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- Travelscams.org’s Travel Safety Monitor (TraSM) can track road safety (e.g. roadblocks, road works, traffic disruptions, disruptions to public transport) and more for you. Click to learn more.
- World Health Organization (WHO) – Global Status Report on Road Safety (2015)
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice