How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 32.1 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #8 highest globally (very unsafe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Not adhering to traffic rules (e.g. traffic lights, signs, lane markings)
- Aggressive driving, not yielding to pedestrians
- Poorly lit roads
- Driving without lights
- Other transport:
- Rail is comfortable and punctual but limited and slow
- Other forms of public transport are limited
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- Only use licensed taxis.
- Travelscams.org’s Travel Safety Monitor (TraSM) can track road safety (e.g. roadblocks, road works, traffic disruptions, disruptions to public transport) and more for you. Click to learn more.
- World Health Organization (WHO) – Global Status Report on Road Safety (2015)
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice