How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 9.1 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #131 highest globally (very safe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Heavy traffic
- Unclear signs
- Aggressive, speeding vehicles
- Not adhering to traffic rules
- Difficult terrain
- Rental vehicles may not be well maintained
- Other transport:
- Reports of regional buses and ferries getting into accidents
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- For regional buses and ferries, only engage reputable operators.
- World Health Organization (WHO) – Global Status Report on Road Safety (2015)
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice