How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 17.4 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #80 highest globally (relatively unsafe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Poorly maintained roads
- Animals on the roads
- Not adhering to driving rules
- Presence of drunk drivers around evening time
- Other transport:
- Boat: overcrowded, lack safety equipment
- Train, bus: frequent accidents, poor track maintenance
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- Choose reputable operators for boats and inter-city buses.
- Travelscams.org’s Travel Safety Monitor (TraSM) can track road safety (e.g. roadblocks, road works, traffic disruptions, disruptions to public transport) and more for you. Click to learn more.
- World Health Organization (WHO) – Global Status Report on Road Safety (2015)
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice