How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate:
- 8.3 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- #137 highest globally (very safe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Secondary roads may have potholes, and some lack pavement markings and are not well lit.
- Encountering livestock/animal drawn carts on the road during agricultural seasons.
- Icy roads during winter.
- Potential landslides on mountainous roads.
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- World Health Organization (WHO) – Global Status Report on Road Safety (2015)
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice