How it works:
- Traffic fatality rate (WHO’s data):
- 5.4 per 100,000 inhabitants per year
- Global rank of #158 (very safe) – 2015 World Health Organization (WHO) report
- Watch out for:
- Winter: snowfall, ice or avalanches can make roads in alpine areas dangerous. Winter tire required legally from November to April.
- Mountain roads: generally narrow.
- Autobahn construction zones (e.g. A-1 East/West Autobahn): deadly accidents have been reported here due to two way traffic on reduced lanes.
What to do:
- Check the latest media reports and weather forecast.
- Stay alert, wear seatbelts, keep doors locked and windows up.
- Travelscams.org’s Travel Safety Monitor (TraSM) can track road safety (e.g. roadblocks, road works, traffic disruptions, disruptions to public transport) and more for you. Click to learn more.
- World Health Organization (WHO) – Global Status Report on Road Safety (2015)
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice