How it works:
- Chechnya, the Kamchatka Peninsula and the Kuril Islands are prone to seismic activity.
- Forest fires:
- June to August
- Can affect Siberia, parts of Western Russia and the Moscow region.
What to do:
- Travel at the “right” time to the “right” place
Reacting to one:
- Earthquakes: drop (to hands and knees), cover (head and neck with arms), hold on (to sturdy furniture); expect aftershocks.
- Forest fires: make yourself seen (e.g. spread out something large and bright), find shelter with little vegetation, stay low to avoid smoke.
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice