How it works:
- Earthquakes: in an active seismic zone – tremors are common. The last major earthquake (7.8 magnitude) that struck was in 2015.
- Flooding, landslides: potentially during the monsson period (June to September).
What to do:
- Travel at the “right” time to the “right” place
- Media reports, weather forecasts
- Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System
- Government of Nepal Meteorological Forecasting Division
- Department of Hydrology and Metrology
- Trekking Agencies Association of Nepal (TAAN) – live updates on trekking conditions
- Travelscams.org’s Travel Safety Monitor (TraSM) can track and alert you on natural disasters, severe weather and more so you don’t have to spend time tracking. Click to learn more.
- Reacting to one:
- Earthquakes: drop (to hands and knees), cover (head and neck with arms), hold on (to sturdy furniture); expect aftershocks
- U.S. Department of State travel advisory
- UK Government foreign travel advice
- Government of Canada travel advisory
- Australia Government travel advice