How it works:
- Fake goods: including perfume, jewelry and electronics.
- Inflated prices: as a foreigner, you will be quoted prices that are double or triple the fair price.
Places to beware:
- Montevideo: Mercado del Puerto, La Rambla
What to do:
- Learn how to separate the wheat from the chaff, or only visit licensed, reputable shops. If a price is too good to be true, it is.
- Find out a fair price by going different shops or check with your hotel/hostel/driver, then bargain hard. Else, check out fixed price shops.