How it works:
- Version 1: they work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
- Version 2: fake fortune tellers, magician scam.
Places to beware:
- Montevideo: Rambla de Montevideo, Mercado Agricola Montevideo – MAM, Ciudad Vieja, Mercado del Puerto, Parque Rodo, Avenida 18 de Julio, Feria de Tristan Narvaja, Plaza Independencia, Puerto de Montevideo (the port area)
- Punta del Este: Playa Brava, Avenida Gorlero
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.