How it works:
- Scam 1: spending a lot more time at shops (where they get a commission) rather than at attractions.
- Scam 2: having CD (containing Montevideo’s history) peddlers on the bus with the bus not leaving until someone buys.
- Scam 3: poor guide who does not provide much information about the sights you see.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Engage a licensed, reputable tour operator:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) also has many popular tours (e.g. Punta del Este tour, Montevideo city tour, Colonial del Sacramento tour, etc).