How it works:
- Opening: at airports, unlicensed drivers will pretend to know you, or claim to have been sent by your hotel; or your hotel staff calls one for you.
- Version 1: you will probably end up being overcharged.
- Version 2: rare, but there is a possibility of being robbed – driver may alert an accomplice who snatches your belongings out of the car when you stop at a red light.
Places to beware:
- Lima: Jorge Chávez International Airport, Avenida de la Marina, Avenida Elmer Faucett
What to do:
- Situation: some may be fine and are even cheaper, but you have to accept the risks (overcharging, no insurance coverage, beaten down car, potentially being robbed).
- Photo: if you engage, take a photo of the car plate and the driver’s license.
- Official taxis: call a taxi from Taxi Satelital, Alo Taxi, Taxi Real, Taxi datum.
- Alternatives: taxi booking apps (e.g. Uber, Taxify, Facedrive) or day tour platforms like GetYourGuide (leading globally) with 12 transport options.