How it works:
- Scam 1: some companies sell fake train tickets to get here and fake entry tickets online.
- Scam 2: guides and operators will claim that you cannot enter without a guide.
Places to beware:
- Cusco: Machu Picchu
What to do:
- Get tickets from the government website. If you want a guide/operator to help you make transport arrangements and share useful information, get a licensed, reputable one:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) also has several popular Machu Picchu tours.