How it works:
- Operator overcharges, takes the money upfront, fulfils only part of their obligations and then disappears before the tour is over.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (e.g. in Puno; Machu Picchu; Nasca bus station)
What to do:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Does it have the SABP logo? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) also has many popular tours (e.g. Humantay Lake trek, Machu Picchu tour, Historic Centre of Lima walking tour, etc).
- Paying: avoid paying in full upfront (unless reputable operator) or off the (online) platform.