How it works:
- Situation: SUVs and sedans with expensive upgrades are usually targeted.
- Version 1: someone signals you to pull over indicating problems with your car, such as a flat tire. If you do, one will distract you and another will steal any exposed valuables in your car.
- Version 2: someone waves in distress, hoping you can help him. Once you stop your car and roll down your windows, he may just grab your car keys.
- Version 3: fake road blocks/checkpoints have also been used.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (e.g. Lima, Cusco, Arequipa)
What to do:
- Avoid traveling alone especially at night in rural areas.
- Keep doors locked, windows up and avoid exposing valuables in your car.
- Stop a distance away before coming out to check on your car. If there is any damage, call your car rental company for advice.