How it works:
- Most food places are fine, it’s generally just a few bad eggs around touristy areas that spoil it for the rest.
- Version 1: inflating the bill, adding un-ordered items or adding hidden fees to your bill and not providing an itemized receipt.
- Version 2: in the past, there was a regulation where you have to order food if you want to order alcoholic drinks. There is no such rule anymore though some will still force it on you.
- Version 3: advertising a cheap special, only to tell you they are sold out and get you to buy a more expensive version of the dish.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Choose: reputable places (use food review apps like Domicilios) and avoid those promoted by touts.
- Check: menu (prices, fine print), itemized bill, and do not eat what was not ordered.
- Alternative: GetYourGuide (leading day tours platform globally) has a couple of food tours.