How it works:
- Version 1: you may encounter touts who offer a boat cruise to Galapagos at a knock-down price. However it usually comes with a range of hidden costs which makes it not worth it.
- Version 2: a tout shows pictures of a luxurious boat (e.g. like Darwin Yacht) and get you to prepay a high fee. On the day however, you will be boarding small local speedboats which are old and unsafe and driven at super-high speeds.
Places to beware:
- Guayaquil: port
What to do:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) also a couple of Galapagos cruise tours.
- Paying: avoid paying in full upfront (unless reputable operator) or off the (online) platform.