How it works:
- Version 1: rogue guides take you to a remote area and then rob you of your valuables.
- Version 2: some threaten to leave you in the middle of nowhere unless you pay them more money for the tour.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Reputable operators: some reputable local names to consider include Gran Colombia Tours (be led by bilingual locals with extensive knowledge and understanding of Colombian culture and history), etc.
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) also has some popular tours (e.g. Bogota East Hills hike, Medellin nature tour and waterfall hike, etc).
- Paying: avoid paying in full upfront (unless reputable operator) or off the (online) platform.