How it works:
- Opening: after you alight from a ferry, you may encounter touts offering cheap day tours with grand claims and promises.
- Set-up: after you pay however, you will be brought to a range of shops where they receive a commission. They will also neglect to take you to any of the attractions you want to see.
Places to beware:
- Bogota: cruise ships docks
What to do:
- Get a licensed, reputable tour operator:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) also has many popular tours (e.g. Bogota East Hills hike, Medellin nature tour and waterfall hike, Chicaque trip, etc).
- Paying: avoid paying in full upfront (unless reputable operator) or off the (online) platform.