How it works:
- These criminals hold up cars or buses and then rob passengers of their belongings.
- They can do so by pretending to have a problem with their car to beckon you to stop, set up debris in the middle road, or set up a fake police roadblock.
Places to beware:
- Medellin: road from Jose Maria Cordova Airport
- Border areas between Ecuador, Venezuela and Panama
What to do:
- Consider flying rather than overland travel if traveling to these hotspots, though try to do so during day time.
- Keep doors locked, windows up and avoid exposing valuables in your car.
- Stop a distance away before coming out to check on your car. If there is any damage, call your car rental company for advice.