How it works:
- Opening: someone spills a liquid (e.g. a drink or a substance that looks like bird droppings) on your clothes.
- Set-up: a group of people will then help you clean up. They are actually trying to pick your pockets or to distract you so an accomplice can steal your unattended bag.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- React: reject help and quickly move to a safe spot – while moving, check that your valuables are still intact.
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.