How it works:
- Most food places are fine, it’s generally just a few bad eggs around touristy areas that spoil it for the rest.
- Version 1: advertising cheap prices outside, only to have different prices on the menu inside.
- Version 2: using a cheap special to bait you in, only to tell you that it is unavailable or that you won’t be able to handle. An alternative (at an inflated price) is recommended.
Places to beware:
- Santiago: Central Market (Mercado Central)
What to do:
- Choose: reputable places (use food review apps like Zomato) and avoid those promoted by touts.
- Check: menu (prices, fine print), itemized bill, and do not eat what was not ordered.
- Alternative: GetYourGuide (leading day tours platform globally) has a couple of food tours.