How it works:
- Version 1: you hand a 10,000 Chilean pesos note over. The cashier/driver swaps it to a 1,000 Chilean peso note, claims that you have confused the two bills and ask you to pay more.
- Version 2: you pay 20,000 Chilean pesos, but the cashier/driver pretends to have received less and so returns less change as well.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (e.g. taxis, shops)
What to do:
- Try to have small bills to use. Else watch carefully how your notes are handled. You can say out loud what notes you are handing over.
- If caught in such a scam, refuse to pay and threaten to call the police.