How it works:
- Version 1: gangs operating in remote areas set up an emergency on the road to get you to stop – e.g. they ask for help with a flat tire or ask to borrow your phone to call for help. When you get out of your car, they will then rob you.
- Version 2: thieves tail you as you drive and then strike while you are pulling out of a car gate (called portonazo).They are generally armed and strike at night.
Places to beware:
- Santiago: La Florida, Las Condes, Vitacura, Nuñoa
What to do:
- Keep doors locked, windows up and avoid exposing valuables in your car.
- Stop a distance away before coming out to check on your car. If there is any damage, call your car rental company for advice.