How it works:
- Version 1: you may encounter unlicensed taxi touts who offer lower fares without queues. These are usually operated by gang members and there is a risk of being robbed. Further, there is likely no insurance coverage if you get into an accident.
- Version 2: the unofficial taxi tout can simply charge an inflated fee.
Places to beware:
- Rio de Janeiro
What to do:
- Situation: some may be fine and are even cheaper, but you have to accept the risks (overcharging, no insurance coverage, beaten down car, potentially being robbed).
- Photo: if you engage, take a photo of the car plate and the driver’s license.
- Official taxis: there are yellow taxis and radio taxis which are in blue, green or white (more expensive).
- Alternatives: taxi booking apps (e.g. Uber, 99 Taxis, Easy Taxi or Cabify) or day tour platforms like GetYourGuide (leading globally) with 9 transport options.