How it works:
- Most food places are fine, it’s generally just a few bad eggs around touristy areas that spoil it for the rest.
- Version 1: adding on dishes which you did not order to the bill.
- Version 2: inflating the service charge or short-changing hoping you don’t realize it.
- Version 3: not listing prices – common among beach vendor and market stalls.
- Version 4: adding a surcharge for live music without disclosing this.
Places to beware:
- Florianopolis: Joaquina Beach
- Fortaleza: Praia de Futuro
- Rio de Janeiro: Copacabana Beach
- Sao Paulo: Mercadao – Sao Paulo Municipal Market
- Salvador: Pelourinho
What to do:
- Choose: reputable places (use food review apps like Zomato) and avoid those promoted by touts.
- Check: menu (prices, fine print), itemized bill, and do not eat what was not ordered.
- Alternative: GetYourGuide (leading day tours platform globally) has a couple of food tours.