How it works:
- Scam 1: unofficial guides who latch onto you, provided unsolicited advice or directions and then ask for a fee (e.g. 100 real) for their “tour services”.
- Scam 2: street touts who sell overpriced products, touts who give you something free then asking for a donation or beggars who ask for money – they are mostly drug addicts.
- Scam 3: illegal flanelinhas.
- Scam 4: pickpockets, snatch thefts, muggings and robberies.
Places to beware:
- Salvador: Pelourinho
What to do:
- Stay on the main street and avoid coming here at night.
- Decline any guide services but if you engage them, negotiate on a price first.