How it works:
- Situation: these unofficial parking attendants, otherwise known as illegal “flanelinhas”, wait around empty parking lots to direct you in.
- Set-up: they then demand a fee for helping guide you and for looking after your car. If you do not pay, they may scratch your car, slash your tire, steal car parts or get aggressive.
- Note: some are good, some are bad, it depends.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (e.g. Rio de Janeiro; Salvador: Pelourinho; Florianopolis: Joaquina Beach)
What to do:
- Not much you do can do besides paying, but negotiate the inflated price down.