How it works:
- This is rare and unlikely to happen to you. Further, locals, rather than tourists tend to be the ones targeted. However, it always pays to be careful.
- There are shady characters who hang around ATMs and banks. They abduct targets for a short amount of time and force you to withdraw your maximum daily withdrawal limit from your account.
Places to beware:
- Higher risk in Brasilia, Recife, Rio de Janeiro, Salvador, Sao Paulo
What to do:
- Avoid using ATMs at dark, secluded areas. Use only at controlled environments (e.g. banks) and scan the area for suspicious looking characters.
- Keep a separate bank account just for traveling with not much cash in there. Only carry a bank card of that account to limit losses if kidnapped or robbed.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.