How it works:
- Situation: besides walking, there are two options to go up:
- (1) Cab to the Paineras car park (halfway up) and transfer to a van to reach the compound (buy a combined van + entrance ticket).
- (2) Take a train from the base of Corcovado to the car park and transfer to the van.
- Version 1: unofficial tour agents who claim to be able to help you skip the queue. They will help you get tickets, but charge you more than the face value of these tickets.
- Version 2: unofficial cab drivers who tell you that the train is not working and pressure you to take their expensive cabs.
Places to beware:
- Rio de Janeiro: Corcovado Christ the Redeemer
What to do:
- Avoid touts and only deal with the official staff.
- Alternatively, you can also arrange a tour or get train tickets online. GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) – has some such tours/transport options.