How it works:
- They work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
Places to beware:
- Copacabana: Cerro Calvario, Plaza 14 de Septiembre, La Cancha
- La Paz: MiTeleferico, Valley of the Moon, Iglesia de San Francisco, Mercado de Las Brujas, CalleSagarnaga, Jaen Street, Cementerio General, El Alto Market
- Sucre: Plaza 25 de Mayo
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.