How it works:
- There have been horror stories with unofficial, fraudulent tour operators, where tourists were overcharged and promises were not delivered.
- For instance, being stranded in the desert for days due to car problems, and having guides steal from them.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (e.g. tours to Copacabana: Isla del Sol; Potosi: Uyuni)
What to do:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) also has some popular tours (e.g. Uyuni Salt Flat, La Paz tour, Tiwanaku Ruins, etc).
- Paying: avoid paying in full upfront (unless reputable operator) or off the (online) platform.